Saturday, November 23, 2013

THE BURDEN OF MEMORY





Remember your creator in the days of your youth, before the days of trouble come and the years approach when you will say-“I find no pleasure in them”—Ecclesiastes 12:1

Were my days like a river, I would have drowned. I don’t quite know, nor do I pretend to understand, why… I might have drowned in the Yamuna in 1876, or the Yariapo in 1567, or did I die crossing the Rubicone-my memory fails but I do remember the Jordan, but I might not have drowned there. In fact, I may be dead.... But then..and since, I am still typing on my birthday- here, this day- on the 23rd of November 2013, I think I have somehow escaped the flood waters. I must then be in my own Gilgamesh epic, perhaps, I am a Noah in my own flood haunted story. I might have drowned in the tide of memory or will do so shortly. In any event, apparently, I am still alive…and thankful..to the one, the triumphant one on Calvary.I am most certainly human and breathing, that is all I know- and that is enough.

No comments: